Curatorial Debut at the Vanessa Lacy Gallery: Capturing Bliss

My curatorial debut: ”Capturing Bliss" is a juried group art exhibition at the Vanessa Lacy Gallery in the historic Livestock Exchange Building. The show is about love, joy, beauty, intimacy and the surreal. The show will run from 2/8/19- 3/2/19. The opening reception is Feb 8. Music will be provided by . . .(TBD)
Like I mentioned, the theme of the show is "Capturing Bliss". The work is all centered and focused on finding bliss in the now. Bliss can be playful, intimate or ephemeral. Each work that was chosen, possessed a blissful vibe and of course, bold color. 
Vanessa and I started at 9 am with over 600 pieces of art and juried down to approximately 20 pieces by 5 pm. It was tremendously difficult to whittle down such great entries into such a small selection that would fit within the perimeters of the gallery space. 
Along with the juried art, both of us will have some new work in the show. Currently I am working on a 120 inch long triptych representing what I feel is bliss. My palette selection is a departure from my normal work. I don’t want to say too much, but I am excited to show this new direction of my painting. 
Vanessa and I both believe one major role for art is to fill homes and public places with inspiration, color, and joy. It reminds us to be alive! To not except the mundane and to challenge ourselves to find a place where our hearts and our souls are happy. 
This was such an intellectual challenge, but also so gratifying . . . and such a teaching experience. It gave me a greater appreciation for the curatorial skills that are vital to a cohesive show. 
Furthermore, it presented me with my new direction for new body of artwork. Can’t wait to show you. Xoxox!
Sincerely,
Teresa Dirks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Teresa Dirks
Contemporary Artist
Studio:
Kansas City Livestock Exchange Building
1600 Genessee St.
Kansas City, Missouri 64102

teresadirks.com/
teresadirks@gmail.com
Find me on Facebook & Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts