Gulf Oil Spill and My Challenge


Since the Gulf Oil Spill, I have vowed to use less while creating my art; however, in doing that, I have also narrowed my vision by trying to be more resourceful with my art. Acrylic paint and other art supplies are made of toxic compounds. For instance, acrylic paint can be made from acrylonitrile. According to Wikipedia, “acrylonitrile  is a toxic colourless liquid organic compound, CH2=CH.CN, synthesized from propylene and ammonia; used as a monomer in the production of acrylic resins and synthetic rubber.” 

Saving resources is something I believe strongly in, and feel I need to practice more resourcefulness in my daily life. I have been brainstorming for several weeks trying to find a way to reuse more and buy less.

Anytime I buy something new, I am contributing to the consumerism that uses our valuable resources. Many of our resources are non-renewable which does include oil. Having taught environmental education for several years, I am highly conscience of the concept in a video I used to teach children and adults to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. That concept is simply, “Just use less!” I could spend hours telling you what I know about the 3R’s, but unless you ask, I will stick to art in this blog. (If you want more, just let me know. I am happy to share what I know on the environment and saving resources.)

With all this said, here is what I have come up with so far and I am unsure why I did not think of it before: collage work.  Why didn’t I think of that sooner, not sure? Collage is a strength of mine, so I am going to incorporate more reused product into my work. I have been experimenting with fabric that I have found and been given over the years. Harry Jean Willis gave me his mother’s fabric several years ago and I cherish it. Additionally, I have some of both my grandmothers’ fabric: Dona and Opal. . . .

Stay tuned . . . photos of new works on paper will be posted soon. I am looking forward to the challenge J In the meantime; I challenge you to use less.

Cheers,
T.



Comments

Popular Posts